Washington Hall was built in 1974 by E. J. M. Hale as a community center for his mill workers who emigrated from England and Ireland to work in the Groveland Mills. Believed to be the first or one of the first community centers in the United States, the building also contained a children’s library. Washington Hall, along with what is now known as Washington Park, was given to the Town of Groveland in 1939 by the Veasey Family. The 6,000 books contained in the children’s library at Washington Hall were transferred to the Langley-Adams Library along with E. J. M. Hale’s yearly endowment.
The Veterans and Boy Scouts used Washington Hall for many years, until it was boarded up by the town for over 20 years. After a request to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by the Groveland Historical Commission this building was placed on the state’s ten most endangered historic buildings list in 1999. After extensive restorations using CPA funds under the direction of the Groveland Historical Society, Washington Hall opened and was rededicated on December 13, 2015. It is open for events, tours, by appointment and on Sundays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm except the winter months and holidays.