The Lemuel Marden House is located at 239 Main Street and was built in 1770. This eighteenth century home (known as a safe house) is located just before the entrance to the Pines and was part of the underground railroad. The underground railroad was used in the 1700’s to hide slaves after they escaped from the owners in the South.
The Parker House was built in 1683 and located next to the Lemuel Marden House and was also part of the underground railroad here in Groveland. The Parker House is connected to the Marden House by a tunnel. Each house also has a tunnel leading down to the Merrimack River. Both houses had a hidden room where slaves could hide as they made their way to Canada. There were also several other “safe houses” here in Groveland.