Pines Amusement Area
“The Pines” was originally a place for picnics and walks along the Merrimack River here in Groveland. The Pines was made into an amusement park and playground in the late 1890’s by The Bay State Railway Company. People came from all over this area to enjoy its many attractions. The Pines was destroyed by fire in 1912 and was rebuilt. The second fire in 1921 destroyed the park for good.
The Pines Speedway
Midget car racing on a dirt track at the Pines was started in 1940 by Oscar “Cannonball” Ridlon and John Smith. Racing was stopped due to gasoline rationing during WWII. The quarter-mile track was paved and reopened after the war in 1946. This was a very popular race track from 1946 until 1973. The property called “The Pines”, consisting of 38 acres was bought by the Town of Groveland in 1974 for $110,000.
Pines Speedway Reunion
This very popular event was started in 2003 and continues yearly on the first Saturday in October. Thousands of former racers, racing enthusiasts and fans have come from as far away as Florida, Arizona, Texas, Canada and throughout New England to enjoy this day which is sponsored by the Groveland Historical Society.